Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cross-Cultural Awareness in the U.S. Military

During the recent Forum on Education Abroad conference in Portland I was talking with my friend and colleague Bruce LaBrack about some his consulting projects which reminded me about a post I wanted to add to IHEC Blog.

I’m writing today about an article from insidehighered.com and a subsequent discussion on
SECUSS-L (study abroad listserv) entitled Toward a ‘Cross-Culturally Competent’ Air Force”. I won’t summarize the article but will simply provide this link for those of you who haven’t read it yet.

Additionally, credit should be given to Joshua Burns who is a graduate student at S.I.T. Graduate Institute who forward a link to SECUSS-L for an excellent bibliography entitled Culture Awareness and the Military which you can access
here.

Please refer to my previous post on Project Go – The ROTC Language & Culture Project here for another example of the military's effort to increase cross-cultural competence and understanding among it's ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment