Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Foreign Exchange Students in U.S. High Schools and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004

My recent research efforts lead me to discover a really interesting article entitled Understanding Entitlement to Services and Protections under U.S. Special Education Law: Are Foreign Exchange High School Students Covered? which I think many IHEC Blog readers will also be interested in reading. This is a very interesting question and one I’m sure many high schools and foreign students have had to work through over the years. I’m also very interested in this question because it blends my previous professional career in human services where I attended more than my share of Individual Education Plan meetings in support of individuals with disabilities when I worked for Developmental Services of Nebraska (DSN) with my current career in international education.

I fully support international education opportunities for all students who want to challenge themselves in a foreign land regardless if they have a disability or not. We are making progress in the field of international education in serving individuals with disabilities. However, I think we have a long way to go. You can access the article here.

You can access previous IHEC Blog posts on individuals with disabilities and international education
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment