Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Analysis of the Research and Literature on Diversity in Education Abroad A Synopsis

The following document is an executive summary (in bullet point format) of some research I did a few years ago for my invited presentation at the Colloquium on Diversity in Education Abroad: How to Change the Picture  hosted by the Academy for Educational Development on May 2, 2006 in Washington, DC.  My annotated bibliography on underrepresentation in education abroad is in desperate need of an update and then I think I need to analyze the literature again to see what, if anything, has changed.  Anyways, just thought I would share here on IHEC Blog.

Analysis of Research & Literature on Diversity in Ed. Abroad-A Synopsis by Comp, 2008

2 comments:

  1. There is such a need for more data concerning diversity in education abroad. This is a subject I am quite interested in. And, while I agree with you (and the literature) that financial reasons are important, from my experience working with minorities, it is not most important. The student population I work with are honors students and have financial support from the university. Even if students are able to study abroad at no cost, they still do not want to because they are afraid. Afraid of being away from home, afraid of the unknown and afraid to do something new- something for which they haven't seen a precedence. It seems to be a simple fix. If we get more minorities to study abroad then more will want to. The question is how do we make this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous ~ Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time. I agree that the more students of color study abroad the greater impact they will have to influence their peers. The numbers of students of colors who study abroad increase each year. It is the percentage of these students that remains virtually unchanged (since demographic data started to be compiled by IIE for Open Doors back in 1993)

    ReplyDelete