Friday, September 30, 2011

The First Chinese Student to Graduate from a University in the United States

As I continue to settle into my new home and begin to bring Bury Book International Education Library & Archive out of hibernation I am rediscovering all kinds of great and rare publications that focus on international education.

One such publication that I found tonight is: A Survey of Chinese Students in American Universities and Colleges in the Past One Hundred Years (1954). Written in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of the graduation of the first Chinese student from an American University, Yung Wing, B.A. from Yale in 1854.  This publication was published under the joint sponsorship of the National Tsing Hua University Research Fellowship Fund & the China Institute in America).  Based on a quick skim of this publication I learned that were a decent number of Chinese students studying in the United States during the last half of the Nineteenth Century and into the early Twentieth Century.  Upon completion of my dissertation this will be one of the first publications I read.

After doing some searching on Google I discovered that Miami University (as do a few other institutions) has this publication in their library holdings.

2 comments:

  1. I was happy when I saw that Miami University had the publication! :)

    ReplyDelete